Remember to nominate your colleagues for positions in your local!
Please read this bulletin carefully in its entirety as there are important details about local elections and the voting process.
There have been a number of emails received requesting clarification on the nomination process and here some answers:
- Can a person be nominated for more than one (1) position?
Yes. A person can be nominated for all positions however both the nominee and nominator must be members in good standing for the nomination to be valid.
- Can a person nominate themselves?
No. A person must be nominated by another member and both the nominee and nominator must be members in good standing for the nomination to be valid.
- Does a person that receives more nominations that other people have an advantage?
No. It doesn’t matter if a person is nominated one (1) time or twenty (20) times for the same position, their name will only appear on the ballot once.
- If I accept the nomination for all of the positions I may be nominated for how do I decide which one to take?
There are Officer positions outlined in the bylaws. An individual can only be elected to and hold one (1) of these positions. For example, if you are nominated and accept the nomination for the President, Vice-President and Base Vice-President and are elected as the President you are no longer on the ballot for the Vice-President or Base Vice-President.
- Can I accept a nomination for more than one (1) committee?
Yes. The restriction for only holding one (1) position applies only to the positions of:
- Recording Secretary
- YVR Base Vice-President
- YYC Base Vice-President
- YYZ Base Vice-President
- 3 year Trustee
- 2 year Trustee
- 1 year Trustee
- I am on a leave, can I still run for a position?
Yes. As long as you are a Cabin Crew member and a CUPE 4070 member in good standing you can run for a position while on leave. However, there are meeting attendance requirements outlined in the bylaws that must be adhered to.
- If I am elected for a position, who will cover any travel arrangements and expenses for me to attend meetings, are these paid positions?
The bylaws give the authority to the elected Board to make those determinations.
- I am an OOT or Cabin Manager, but I am stepping down what designation should be on the nomination form?
The classification you are in as of 4PM MST on October 29, 2018 is the classification that must be on the nomination form.
- Can I run for a position if I am an OOT or Cabin Manager?
Yes. Until the decision is made by the CIRB, CUPE considers you members, however both the nominee and nominator must be members in good standing for the nomination to be valid.
All nomination forms must be either filled out electronically or printed and scanned and sent by email to Kelly Bateman at email@example.com by 4PM MST on October 29, 2018.
For further information on the duties of the positions or committees, please refer to the bylaws.
Nomination form for officers:
Nomination form for Base VPs, Shop Stewards:
Nomination form for committees:
CUPE 4070 Bylaws
French (Not yet available)
Sign a CUPE 4070 membership card and pay the initiation fee here.
Beginning on October 30, 2018 all of the people who have been nominated will be sent an email from Kelly Bateman asking if they will allow their name to stand on the ballot.
These individuals will have until 4PM MST on November 9th to accept or decline the nomination.
All nominees that accept will be given the opportunity, as per the bylaws to provide a one (1) page (8.5×11 size) information sheet which will be posted on our website (westjet.cupe.ca), with links sent by email to all members in good standing.
Candidates must send their information sheets to Lou Arab at firstname.lastname@example.org least 48 hours before voting begins to be posted on the website.
The voting process will commence the week of November 12th, 2018.
All elections, as per the bylaws will run for seven (7) days.
Only members in good standing can vote in any election. Any Flight Attendant who signs a CUPE membership form 48 hours or more before any particular vote will be sent a ballot by email.
As with the bylaw vote, any issues regarding voting and/or membership are to be forwarded to Lou Arab at email@example.com.
The order of elections will be:
Votes by all members in good standing
- President – 2 year term (Election period – Nov 13 – Nov 19)
- Vice-President – 1 year term (Election period – Nov 20 – Nov 26)
- Secretary Treasurer – 1 year term (Election period – Nov 27 – Dec 3)
- Recording Secretary – 2 year term (Election period – Dec 4 – Dec 10)
Votes by base for all members in good standing
- YVR Base Vice-President – 2 year term (Election period Dec 11-Dec 17)
- YYC Base Vice-President – 2 year term (Election period Dec 11–Dec 17)
- YYZ Base Vice-President – 2 year term (Election period Dec 11–Dec 17)
These remaining votes will be in the new year, with exact dates to follow:
Open for vote by all members in good standing
- 3 year Trustee
- 2 year Trustee
- 1 year Trustee
Open for vote by base for all members in good standing
- Fifteen (15) YVR Shop Stewards – 2 year term
- Fifteen (15) YYC Shop Stewards – 2 year term
- Fifteen (15) YYZ Shop Stewards – 2 year term
- All committee positions
If you have friends and colleagues at Encore or Swoop, encourage them to sign their card here: https://westjet.cupe.ca/swoop-encore-sign-a-card/ to join CUPE today!