You have likely, or will shortly see, an announcement from Management that due to the B737 MAX 8 grounding, they are rebuilding the entire commercial schedule to take this aircraft model out of the network plan for the month of April. As such, the Employer advised us in the past 36 hours that they deem it not possible to release the April blocks on March 20th, as per the frozen Cabin Crew Agreement (CCA).
The employer gave us just two days notice that the schedule that was due to come out today, March 20th, will now not be available until March 27th. The employer gave ALPA an additional day notice. They requested approval for the delay, which upon consideration, we have denied. Ultimately this was because the company refused to allow the re-bid process for 767 cabin crew. All members of the bargaining unit must be treated equally and we will not consent to two-tier conditions that seek to divide our membership.
In light of the Company’s ask to stray from the frozen terms of work of all Members’ schedule being released by the 20th of each month, your union proposed the following temporary changes to other frozen terms so as to help alleviate the burden of this 7 day extension of your April schedule release:
1) Proposed that all bids for April 2019 be reopened and a further bidding period of 48 hours be opened for all members. This would account for the ability of anyone who bid routes, etc. that were exclusively operated by MAX 8 aircraft (OGG, HNL, LGW, DUB, etc.) to place a new bid which has a chance of being awarded. As well, some such flying is being re-blocked on B767 and B787 aircraft so these are now routes those qualified members may bid on. If a bid is not changed from the previously closed bid as of 09:00MST on 09MAR2019, that bid shall remain active for the crew member.
2) Proposed that the 72 hour grace period that the Employer has to process Flica trade/drop/pickup requests be lowered to twenty-four hours for the seven days following the revised schedule release (requests submitted from schedule release until 00:59MST on 03APR2019)
3) Proposed that the 12 hour prior to report rule that our members must have trade/drop/pickup requests approved by be reduced to six hours prior to report time for the seven days following the revised schedule release (requests submitted from schedule release until 00:59MST on 03APR2019)
4) Proposed that Inflight commence deadheadpay rules as contained now in Pilots’ awarded Collective Agreement, as this would permit the member who flies the deadhead to be compensated for it. This is a fix that is long overdue, and costs the company little to achieve, as they are implementing this for Pilots.
After being in communication with the Company over the past two days, and after these requests were made of the Company, they advised that of these, one of these requests would be granted in full, two would be granted with restrictions, and the fourth was not agreeable for them.
As a result of this decision by the Company, your Union Executive voted unanimously to not give our approval of this breach of the statutory freeze of our work rules. It would simply not be in the best interest of all our members.
Moving forward, we will be pressing the Employer for a solution so that this situation will not arise again and will consider all legal avenues available to us.
Your CUPE Local 4070 Executive Team