Dues rates and other by-law changes

CUPE Alberta Uncategorized

Dues rates and other by-law changes

Today at 5:00 pm MST, we will hold a telephone town hall meeting for all members to explain the changes we are proposing to our by-laws, which includes a proposed rate of dues.

You should get a phone call between 5:00-5:10 pm adding you to the call. If you do not, call 1-877-229-8493, with ID code 112289 to join.

You can read the entire proposed by law package here (en français). Changes from the initial by-laws are in blue.

Didn’t we pass by-laws already?

Yes, we passed the framework for by-laws which allowed us to elect an executive and start operating as a Local. However, some decisions were put off so that the executive could make them, rather than staff. We feel strongly that our own elected representatives should prepare a budget and make the decisions about a proposed dues level, rather than leave it to the staff at CUPE National.

So, what are the changes?

We are setting a dues rate, establishing rules for paying members who are ‘booked off’ work for union business, and some other minor changes we will detail on the call today.

Get to the point, what is the proposed dues rate?

We are proposing that dues be set at 1.1% on top of the CUPE National per capita payment of 0.85% for a total of 1.95% of regular wages.

Why that rate?

As a new local, we need funding to set up shop. We need office equipment and an office, we need to spend on education to train our stewards and executive, and we have to be ready for a long set of negotiations.

Doesn’t CUPE National cover most of that?

CUPE National covers some of that, but not all. CUPE provides staff for bargaining, legal work, education, research and communications.  CUPE also provides some funding on a cost share basis with it’s locals.  But day to day grievance handling, booking off staff, and other costs associated with bargaining are the responsibility of the local.

Who pays dues, it is just members?

All flight attendants covered by the CUPE certification will pay dues.  Paying dues does not make you a member in good standing. To be a member in good standing you must sign a membership card and pay the $5.00 initiation fee.

Are dues for all earnings, what are ‘regular wages’?

Dues are based on regular earnings. They do not apply to meal allowances, owners’ performance award, other expenses or overtime.

When do we vote?

Voting will start tomorrow morning at 6:00 am MST, and polls will be open until 6:00 pm MST on Monday February 11th.

If you are a member in good standing, you should receive an email inviting you to vote tomorrow morning at 6:00 am. If you don’t receive one, please check your junk/spam mail.  If you still can’t find it, contact returning officer Lou Arab at larab@cupe.ca and he will make sure you get to vote.

As with elections, you must be a CUPE member to vote. If you have not yet signed a membership card and paid your $5 initiation fee, you can do so online here: https://westjet.cupe.ca/mainline-membership/. Non-members who sign up before Friday, February 8, 2018 at noon MST will get a chance to vote.